S Morgan Burnett (groin) and LB Clay Matthews (ankle/hamstring | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
LHX1990
LHX1990 Aug 14
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks showed a bit of resiliency -- against their opponent and the atmosphere inside Chase Field. Julian Love Jersey .Rickie Weeks Jr. hit a three-run homer, Paul Goldschmidt had two RBI and the Diamondbacks beat the San Diego Padres 7-5 on Tuesday night in front of 14,110 fans, the smallest crowd in Chase Fields 18-year history.We appreciate the people who were here. I thought we played well, Arizona manager Chip Hale said. The guys didnt let down because it wasnt a big crowd with a lot of emotion. They created their own emotion in the dugout. Thats baseball.Weeks got them started, hitting a three-run homer off Christian Friedrich (4-4). Goldschmidt had an RBI single and a sacrifice fly after being named to his fourth straight NL All-Star team.Jean Segura sparked Arizonas lineup from the leadoff spot, finishing with three hits, three runs and an RBI.Zack Godley (2-0) worked around trouble through five innings and so did Brad Ziegler in the ninth, giving up a leadoff homer to Brad Schimpf and two more hits before striking out Matt Kemp to close out his 18th save.The Diamondbacks had three triples to match a team record and twice scored in the bottom half of an inning after San Diego scored in the top half to win for the second time in 10 games.We need to get all the wins we can get, Weeks said. For us to win like we did tonight is great.San Diegos Wil Myers had a run-scoring triple among his four hits and drove in a run after being named to his first NL All-Star team before the game. The Padres out-hit Arizona 12-10, but stranded seven runners and couldnt overcome Friedrichs shaky start.Its kind of what its been like the last few times out, Padres manager Andy Green said. He has some crisp innings and then gets into trouble. He misses some pitches and they take advantage of that.Godley made one start and five relief appearances during his first stint with the Diamondbacks and was called up from Triple-A Reno to start against the Padres.The right-hander caused himself some problems when he started the third inning by walking Friedrich. Myers drove him in with a run-scoring triple and later scored on Yangervis Solartes run-scoring single that put the Padres up 2-0.Godley ran into more trouble in the fifth, when Kemp and Alex Dickerson hit run-scoring doubles to tie the game at 4.Godley allowed four runs and eight hits in five innings. He was sent back to Reno after the game and left-hander Zac Curtis was recalled.A lot of mis-hit balls off him, Hale said. His ball moves a lot. If he can get that with the location, down in the zone a little more, hes going to be something.Friedrich entered Tuesdays game 2-0 with a 1.17 ERA in 15 career appearances against Arizona.The left-hander did not have the same effectiveness this time, allowing one more run (4) in the third inning than he had the previous 25 combined. Goldschmidt drove in the first with a run-scoring single and Weeks followed with his three-run homer to center.It was the worst pitch at the wrong time, said Friedrich, who gave up five runs, six hits and struck out five in five innings.LAMB ROARINGJake Lamb entered the game as a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning and fell behind in the count. Players in Arizonas bench said he should take a protective swing with two strikes.Hale knew better and Lamb proved him right, hitting a triple to the corner in right before scoring on Seguras RBI single.They said it when he got two strikes, just put it in play. I said `Hes going to get extra bases, theres no doubt about it, Hale said. Hes just a machine right now.Thats for sure. Lamb has an extra-base hit in seven straight games, longest by an Arizona player since Goldschmidt did it in eight straight games from July 2-9, 2009. Lamb has seven triples to match the team record before the All-Star Break, previously set three times.TRAINING ROOMPadres: RHP Tyson Ross (shoulder) is expected to throw his final extended bullpen on Wednesday.Diamondbacks: CF A.J. Pollock started some light throwing with a tennis ball this week, his first baseball-related activity since breaking his right elbow on April 2.UP NEXTPadres: RHP Colin Rea has received 6.61 runs of support per game heading into Wednesdays series finale against Arizona.Diamondbacks: RHP Shelby Miller is 1-1 with a 4.30 ERA in six career games against San Diego. Dalvin Tomlinson Youth Jersey . Artturi Lehkonen, Joni Nikko and Ville Leskinen had the other goals for Finland (1-0) while Juuse Saros stopped 28 shots. Tim Robin Johnsgard had the lone goal for Norway (0-2). Harry Carson Giants Jersey . -- The Bishops Gaiters are showing they belong among the countrys top varsity football teams. http://www.giantsrookiestore.com/Giants-Eli-Manning-Jersey/ . The 43-year-old closer, in his 19th and final big league season, has said hed like to play the outfield. Yankees manager Joe Girardi says hes thinking about allowing Rivera to do it this weekend, when the Yankees finish their season with a three-game series at the Houston Astros. GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Receiver Jordy Nelson is gradually rounding back into pre-injury form for the Green Bay Packers.With four touchdown catches in a seasons first three games for the first time in his career, Nelson doesnt appear to have missed a step.But it has been a work in progress overall for the Packers, especially after coach Mike McCarthy took a cautious approach with Nelson and kept him out of preseason action.Frankly, I think we made it difficult on Jordy. I think expectations on him were unrealistic, for him to come out of the preseason and think hes going to go down to (the season opener in) Jacksonville and perform, McCarthy said this week. I think hes exceeded the reality that I had for him.But McCarthys restraint was understandable.Nelson arrived in camp having made a full recovery from a right ACL tear, an injury that knocked him out for the 2015 season.But he also started the preseason with what he described as a minor issue in his left knee . It was concerning enough to the coaching staff that Nelson only started practicing with about a couple of weeks left in training camp.Nelson doesnt think that McCarthy made his return difficult at all.I think my body made it difficult with what happened and some extra stuff we had to do. I think we did what we needed to do to be ready for Week 1, Nelson said on Wednesday after practice.Following a bye last week, Green Bay is preparing to host the New York Giants on Sunday night.That 27-23 win over the Jaguars was played in sweltering, 90-degree heat, not exactly ideal conditions for Nelson to play in his first regular-season game in more than a year. He finished with six catches for 32 yards and a score .I mean, who knows what Week 1 would have been like if it wasnt in Jacksonville, Nelson said. It mightve been different. But weve progressed and Im very satisfied with how its turned out and were continuing to grow.The connection between quarterback Aaron Rodgers and Nelson returned in the Week 3 win over Detroit , when Nelson had six catches for 101 yards and two scores. That rapport has been honed over years of work together between two of the teams elder statesmen.If the Packkers can maintain that vintage form, the turning point for the offense might have come with 2:49 left in the first quarter of the Lions game. Dexter Lawrence Giants Jersey. On first down, Rodgers found Nelson up the right seam for a 49-yard gain on first down.Its the kind of big play that the Packers were pulling off with regularity in Nelsons last healthy season in 2014.I think he looked pretty good last game , Rodgers said. Very cerebral, smart, great second, third reactions. Hes a big time player for us and were excited hes back and being productive.The slow start this season -- at least by Packers standards -- made hardcore fans nervous. The conventional wisdom around the league was the Packers offense would return to form as soon as Nelson started catching passes again from Rodgers.Nelson would give the offense the deep threat it desperately needed. That would relieve the extra attention placed on Randall Cobb, who excels with making tough catches in traffic.Younger receivers such as Davante Adams and Ty Montgomery would take their next steps in development to add variety and depth.While Nelson never placed the expectations of being an offensive savior on himself, he was aware of them. The nine-year veteran never judged his progress by catches or receiving yards.So me personally, the way I feel throughout a game, the way I feel on Monday when we come in after a game, how the body recovers by when we practice on Wednesday, I think thats what a lot of it is, Nelson said, and its gotten better and to be honest with you, I wish we didnt have a bye week.Game notes McCarthy ruled out Sam Shields (concussion) for Sunday, the third straight missed game for the cornerback. ... S Morgan Burnett (groin) and LB Clay Matthews (ankle/hamstring), along with DT Letroy Guion, DE/LB Datone Jones, who each have knee injuries, took part in practice again on Thursday after all four key players missed the Lions game.---Online: AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL---Follow Genaro Armas at: https://twitter.com/GArmasAP ' ' ' 
Share:
Booking.com
No Content
Google this